- Synthesis, storage and release of acetylcholine
- Enzymatic breakdown of acetylcholine, up to the subsection on inhibitors (through page 265 in the print version of the textbook)
- Nicotinic cholinergenic receptors, up to the subsection “The permutations of subunits forming nAChRs create more diversity” (up to page 271 in the print version)
There will be no quiz on this reading, but are a few questions to consider:
- How is acetylcholine (ACh) synthesized?
- How does ACh get into the synaptic vesicle?
- Which of the receptor types described in chapter 12 is the nicotinic receptor? How does its structure relate to its function?
- What kind of protein is acetylcholinesterase (AChE)? What is its function?